November 1, 2011

Bazu Guru Dung drup…



Lama Dondup and Chung Rinpoche

A week long Baza Guru dungdrup recitation is underway here at Zangtopelri in Samdrup Jongkhar. Presided over by the renowned Trulku Chung Rinpoche from Tharpaling in Bumthang, the baza guru dungdrup is organized by the ATI foundation – a non-profit Buddhist foundation for the wellbeing of the kingdom and the world. It began on 29th October.

monks at Baza Guru recitation

I decided to take part in the recitation for a day (1st November) since I couldn’t join when it started.  Though I ain’t overtly religious, I felt I needed to attend it. So at the break of dawn I got up and finished my household chores before my family was up and I moved towards the venue at 8.00am. There were a few hundred gathered when I reached there. My friend was already there when I got there with my son. A few hundreds more joined after my arrival and the courtyard was filled by 9.30. The organizers were quite happy with the number of devotees that turned up because the previous days saw very few devotees.

I joined the crowd and began chanting Baza Guru. My goal was to reach the count of 10,000 before the end of the day. I am very glad that I was able to achieve my goal and I am planning to join the recitation tomorrow after the school hours as well.

It is indeed a very rare opportunity for us here because unlike the place in the west, this place hardly receives any renowned Rimpoches and Lamas. So I aint going to miss the opportunity as the dungdrup will end on Thursday (3rd Nov.)

No comments:

Post a Comment